Saag Kumro(Spinach With Pumpkin)
Method Of Cooking:
- 3 cups peeled and diced pumpkin (kumro)
- 2 medium potatoes, diced but not peeled
- A bunch of fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 lb baby shrimp (peeled+steamed is ok)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon corriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons finely ground/grated coconut
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the cumin and the turmeric, stir-fry these spices for a minute.
- Add the shrimp.
- Fry the shrimp for a couple of minutes and then take them out with a slotted spoon and leave aside.
- Break the dried red chilli and fry it in the oil for a minute before adding the potatoes and pumpkin.
- Stir fry these for a few minutes.
- Add the corriander, chilli powder and sugar and stir-fry for a couple more minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach and stir it in until the it slowly decreases in volume and blends in with the other ingredients (~3 mins).
- Add the salt and sprinke a little water (3-4 Tbsp) cover and allow to cook under low heat until the potatoes are done.
- Sprinkle and stir in the ground coconut and shrimp before turning off the heat, may wish to save a little for the final garnish.
Serve with hot plain rice.